Thursday, February 28, 2013

Different Day, New Challenges


                I finally got the paper work done for the Honor’s Program, and I don’t feel any different. Although the semester is still a challenge, I feel the A’s in MAT 182, BIO 205 and lab, REL 245, SPH 243, and CHM 235 lab is appreciation to keep moving forward. I feel the ASU conference poster is almost done even if I did barely started on it today. I learned a lot this week. For example, the microbiology lab was very interesting. I, basically, took DNA from E. coli, poopy bacteria, and integrated it with a plasmid. The realization was that the chemical calcium chloride used to open the pores of the bacteria wall had significance to my previous class of general chemistry 151 and 152. The characteristic of calcium chloride was that at room temperature it was a liquid like water, and it became crystalized when stored in 4 degrees Celsius. The bond between the chemical and the cell wall fused, so the solution was put into ice bath. It left holes large enough for the plasmid to enter the cells cytoplasm and either integrate with its DNA chromosome or remain a plasmid. This plasmid had instructions for antibiotic resistance against ampicillin. This is known as Transformation for bacteria to recombine their genes as one way.

                I, also, taught myself to change an alternator on my vehicle. I am fitting everything into my schedule. This past month I have been fixing a constant SUV with problems after problems; thus, learning new things about cars and trying to spend time with my son and eager to learn daughter is a busy semester this year. I feel like the time I spend with my kids and companion is shorting every week. I countdown the weeks every month, so there is about half a semester left. I haven’t put much time into the internship this week because of the hectic schedule. The poster I, somewhat, finished seems to boring. There is too much words and not enough pictures. The average person spends 3 minutes or less reading the first part of a book before they read anymore. I looked at my poster and realized it something I wouldn’t read because it’s too rambling. I, also, haven’t been putting too much effort into O-CHEM. I would say this class is going to be either a “B” grade or “C.” I don’t grasp what the instructor is saying, maybe because there is a language barrier. I’m dealt the cards and I must play my hand. I guess? I read a book for a class called Bless Me, Ultima. A Chicano literature about a boy growing up and questioning life. The movie is, also, in theaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment