Thursday, April 18, 2013

Don't Kill My Vibe


I found a useful website known as Khan Academy, and it has thousands of sorted videos for students. For instance, I needed a quick review of chapters in organic chemistry and this site had videos in order of concepts, and it was easy to navigate. I hope this information is useful to other students. In other words, I think visual learners like me would find this tip really helpful other than reading a whole chapter before a quiz or test. Furthermore, the videos are no longer than 12 minutes. There is no catch or some type of fee to pay, so just hit the “Learn” link to open more options.


            The soap dispenser in the bathrooms was sampled in a total of forty. I, also, recorded in my journal what genders was being sampled from. Luckily, I had an even split of twenty women and twenty men. Thus, I made a graph of the dirtiest soap dispensers of men vs. women. Maybe somebody in the lab can pursue this project of soap dispensers between men and women. Overall, the soap dispenser took second place of the average CFU’s with drinking fountains still being first. I sampled this week the door handle of bathrooms around campus, and they came in second. Bathroom door handles knocked soap dispenser beneath it. Figure 1 shows the updated graph of fomites. Figure 2 shows the soap dispensers between men and women.
Figure 1. The standard deviation seems high on both the drinking fountain and bathroom door handles. I still look forward to adding more place or objects to sample in the future.
Figure 2. The men in the blue seem just slightly above the women in the red. The button to dispense the foamy soap was sampled and nothing else.
            I notice that maybe men are just a little more covered in microbes than women. I notice in one of my microbiology labs that since I’m just sampling without identifying the colonies. It can be that the colonies I grew were resident flora bacteria of the hands. Thus, the removal of transient flora bacteria can be washed off, but the resident flora will just reduce the number of bacteria. The most prevalent bacteria on human skin are Staphylococcus epidermis. This could be an explanation of the colonies growing on the mechanism button of dispensing soap. For example, scrubbing with soap, a pair of hands, and maybe a brush is just moving the resident microbes around and lightly removing them.
         

   I, also, compared the classroom desk of buildings. Figure 3 above show the comparison between mostly all the highly used buildings holding classrooms. Furthermore, I have noticed that after one class another class will be rushed in on some circumstances. Some students bring sanitizing wipes like Lysol, but they only remove about 99.99 % of germs. It specifies that it only removes, basically, only gram positive microbes and not gram negatives or coliforms.


No comments:

Post a Comment